MAGAZINE

This "magazine" pretends to be a compilation of the best articles in knitting and crochet.
It is a virtual "note book" for the avid knitter and crochetter ... always needing to learn more.
Please read my HOME PAGE


Monday 12 October 2015

Granny Square join as you go - a tutorial

by Annette Ciccarelli

READ ORIGINAL POST HERE




Annette Ciccarelli

Joining your Granny Squares as-you-go saves you a lot of time and lets you see your crochet creation grow right in front of your eyes. I think this is a fabulous way of making a larger blanket. And when working with a larger variety of colors like in my Gypsy Blanket, it naturally gives you the chance to see, as you go, what colour to use next time to find the right balance of dark and light, bright and faded colours.

There are many tutorials out there already but many of my readers keep asking me to make a tutorial and so here it is.

I actually took these pictures last summer so enjoy the sunshine in these pictures and allow yourself to long for spring time. It is right around the corner. :) Okay, lets get started.

Start up facts:
This blanket is made of 3-row granny squares. I generally have 1 chain in between my granny clusters and 3 chains in my corners and that is what my Join-As-You-Go Tutorial will be based upon.

I preferably join my squares in rows as this makes it easier only having to join with 2 other squares each time. I am right handed and naturally I then work myself from the left on my blaket to the right, always having my joining squares on my left and at the top.

I work my patterns/tutorials in UK terms. See my conversion table under My Tutorials for US terms.


Annette Ciccarelli

Step 1
I start my 3rd row in a corner, feel free to start on the side if you want. When you reach your upcoming corner you make 1 granny cluster of 3 tr (UK) and then you find the place in your blanket where you will join your square. I will add this square to the apricot square on my left, the red in the corner and the baby blue at the top.

Annette Ciccarelli

Step 2
You start by making a chain like you normally do in a corner. For your 2nd chain, lead your hook from the front to the back to fetch yarn in the light blue corner, pull it through the corner and then your loop. This is your 2nd chain that you usually make in the corner.

Annette Ciccarelli

Step 3
Next you make a chain without joining, just like normal.

Annette Ciccarelli

Step 4
Make your 2nd 3tr granny cluster in your squares corner. To join on the side of the light blue granny you repeat the joining procedure in every space between granny clusters: Lead your hook from the front to the back to fetch yarn in the space between granny clusters, pull it through the space and then your loop. This is your chain that you normally make between your granny clusters on the side of your granny. Make a granny cluster... continue.

Annette Ciccarelli

Step 5
Now you come to the tricky corner with 3 granny squares to join into. The trick is to only join into your upper square and the one to the left and skip the (in this picture) red one in the corner. Like this: lead your hook from the front to the back to fetch yarn in the light blue corner, pull it through the corner and then your loop. This is your 1st chain that you usually make in the corner. Make a chain without joining - your 2nd chain that you normally make in the corner. Lead your hook from the front to the back to fetch yarn in the apricot corner, pull it through the corner and then your loop. This is your 3rd chain that you usually make in the corner. Now make 3 tr cluster in your corner and continue to join to the apricot square like you did in Step 4.

Annette Ciccarelli

Step 6
Join your last corner like you did with your first (chain -join-chain), finish your 3rd row, close it with a slip stitch and VOILA! All nice and neatly joined. In the picture below of the tricky corner, you can see the stitches and where they are joined with help from my notes.

Annette Ciccarelli











No comments:

Post a Comment